Laser therapy / LLLT / Additional Modalities
Laser treatment, we believe, is the perfect addition to chiropractic care. It is not instead of, but a great supplement to chiropractic treatment. We work to offer the best in evidence-based treatment to our patients. Lasers are routinely used by many prominent institutions, universities, professional athletes, and sports medicine centers. We have been using Laser therapies in our clinic for many years with great results.
What is Laser Treatment?
Laser therapy also called “cold laser” or Low Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) is a technology, which has been proven to be remarkably safe, painless and effective in treating both acute injuries and chronic pain of various kinds. It has been shown to be an extremely useful addition to our overall treatments.
It has been particularly helpful in stubborn, persistent, and “difficult-to-treat” conditions, including chronic back pain and neck pain, arthritis, plantar fascitis and other joint and muscle pains.
The laser gives us the ability to provide you with an improved level of safe, non-invasive, drug free pain relief and accelerated healing of injuries.
The treatment involves the application of red and near infra-red light over injuries. Laser and LED beams of light are used to stimulate the cells in the body that repair tissue, reduce inflammation and reduce pain. It is a highly effective treatment for acute soft tissue injuries, chronic pain syndromes, and slow healing wounds.
Therapeutic Benefits of Laser Therapy
- Anti-inflammatory Action: Laser light reduces swelling, leading to decreased pain, less stiffness, and a faster return to normal joint and muscle function.
- Rapid Cell repair: Laser light accelerates cellular reproduction and healing.
- Faster Wound Healing:Laser light stimulates fibroblast development and accelerates collagen synthesis in damaged tissue.
- Reduced Fibrous Tissue Formation: Laser light reduces formation of scar tissue, leading to more complete healing, with less chance of weakness and re-injury later.
- Increased Vascular Activity: Laser light increases blood flow to the injured area.
- Stimulated Nerve Function:Laser light speeds nerve cell processes, which may decrease pain and numbness associated with nerve-related conditions.
- Acute soft tissue injuries e.g. sprains/strains
- Back and neck pain
- Chronic pain syndromes e.g. RSI, frozen shoulder, chronic low back pain
- Fractures and non-union fractures
- Nerve pain (Neuropathic pain) e.g. from disc injuries
- Ulcers e.g. diabetic ulcers
- Post operative care: Post operative pain, tendon repair, post mastectomy lymphoedema, infected wounds
- Safe and quick results.Can be used immediately after injury, over pins, plates and bony prominences.
- Drug free pain relief without the unwanted side-effects.It doesn’t have side effects like some anti-inflammatory medication and painkillers.
- Reduces swelling and inflammation: Stimulates lymphatic drainage to reduce swelling.
- Reduces healing time:Stimulates the cells around the injury to increase the speed, quality and strength of tissue repair.
- Pain relief:Inhibits the nerves related to the site of pain.
- It is safe
- Easily applied
- Highly effective
- No negative side effects
Conditions treated using laser therapy
Advantages of Low Level Laser Therapy over Medical Treatment
Clinical effects of low level laser therapy
How does LLLT or Photomedicine therapy work?
Therapeutic lasers work by supplying energy to the body in the form of photons of light. The tissues and cells then absorb this energy, where it is used to accelerate the normal rate of tissue healing.
The red and near infrared light (600nm – 1000nm) commonly used in LLLT can be produced by laser or high intensity LED. The intensity of LLLT laser and LEDs is not high like a surgical laser and there is no heating effect.
The effects of LLLT are photochemical, like photosynthesis in plants. The laser can affect cell membrane permeability and aid the production of ATP (the fuel for our cells) thereby providing the cell with more energy, which in turn means the cell is in optimum condition to play its part in a natural healing process.
Unlike many physical therapy treatments that mask pain or only address the symptoms of disease, Laser Therapy treats the underlying condition or pathology to promote healing. This means that the treatments are effective and the benefits of laser Therapy are long lasting.
What you feel as a patient
What you normally feel is simply a sense of relaxation. You relax in one of our comfortable chairs, or lay down on one of our patient beds, depending on what body part is being treated. Since it is a “sub-sensory” (below the threshold of sensation) level of stimulation, many patients will feel very little from the laser itself.
Safety of Low Intensity Laser Therapy
Low level laser therapy is not harmful. Lasers used for tissue stimulation have insufficient strength to damage cells.
Thirty years of clinical studies and clinical use have shown only mild, occasional adverse effects.
There are normally no adverse effects from LLLT, however you may occasionally experience mild ache after treatment. This is due to a re-stimulation of the inflammatory phase and should settle down after 24 – 48 hours.
Frequency of Treatments
While some patients get immediate results, others require 6-10 treatments before seeing a lasting effect. Less severe or acute injuries will require fewer treatments than chronic or severe conditions.
The treatment frequency recommendation is 1-2 times / week for 2-4 weeks, then 1 time / week for 2-6 weeks. This clearly will vary from one person to the next depending on the type of injury, the length of time it has been present and how well you heal.
The use of a laser will help your injury heal quicker, it will reduce the pain and get you back to normal activities faster. You can achieve this without any of the side-effects that you often get from taking painkillers .
The Advantages Of Low Intensity Laser Therapy is:
You are unique!
Download our new patient forms. We do our best to find what is causing your unique set of problems - and give you a program to help resolve it!Forms